Monday, March 7, 2011

New Puppies
Hanna & Gale have had their pups. They both whelped the same day.
Gale started on Sunday afternoon, digging and being uncomfortable. She tricked me into staying up with her the entire night. Finally, around 9 a.m. Monday, she had her first pup. Gale went on to have four more. We had six pups that had been spoken for, leaving us one short. So I had a little chat with her and six hours later, after I had completely given up and was sure that she was done, she had one more for our friends, Don and Jeannie Helsley.
It was now around 6 p.m. and Hanna was making quite a ruckus digging to China, so downstairs I went. Her eyes were wide like a woman in labor, stuck in traffic. Once I was holding her paw, so to speak, she started to whelp. She had her first pup within 10 minutes of my arrival, two more followed right behind that one, and then came the waiting. That night I made my bed in the mud room. On pup number seven, I must have dozed off. Hanna climbed out of the kennel and had her pup by my pillow. Ok, I'm awake, she didn't want me to miss that one. She finished sometime around 8 a.m. Tuesday. She had eight pups, seven of which are girls.
I gave myself the title "Placenta Woman," took a bath (since Gale was using the shower), and tried to take a nap.
The total pup count is fourteen. We have three left for sale. Gale was bred to Suzy Applegate's Buzz and Hanna was bred to Norman's Blaze.
Now comes the picking. I have my eye on one, I call her Pocket, since she has a perfect, little white pocket on her bum.  We will see if I pick Pocket!
Feeling Thankful....................

No comments:

Post a Comment